Different Choices Transition Fair
For Students with IEPs, 504s and Mental Health Challenges
Different Choices, hosted by Schools for Children, is a four-day virtual event with:
- how-to workshops
- live information sessions with career school-to-work, voc/ed and college representatives
- one-to-one meetings with these reps
- on-demand programs, and
- information on academic, financial and training resources
… all to get you ready for the transition to the next step after high school. Building on earlier programs to support the transition from high school to career and college, we are producing a college and career fair designed explicitly for students with learning disabilities and mental health challenges.
Why Create Different Choices?
More than 19 percent of graduating high school students in the United States has a learning disability or difference and requires support or accommodations (Pew Center). In addition, almost one in five students aged 6-17 has sought treatment for anxiety, depression or other mood or mental health disorders that interfere with learning and school performance (NAMI). More often than not, learning and mental health disorders occur together.
The fair will help students better prepare themselves to complete college and/or begin a rewarding career.
Who Should Attend?
- High school students preparing to graduate in the next one to three years
- Parents, caregivers or guardians looking for ways to support their student’s successful transition from high school
- High school educators providing support to students with learning and mental health differences
- Mental health professionals working with high school students
- College-level educators preparing to work with students with LD and social-emotional challenges
Attendees: Attendance is free, but registration is required. Preregister today. Some workshops and presentation will fill quickly. Visit the Different Choices website for a full overview of the inaugural event!
Become a sponsor: Support this very special and much-needed event.
Visit the Different Choices website for more about this unique college and career transition fair for high school students with LD and mental health challenges.